Date:	Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:42:10 -0700
From:	David VomLehn <dvomlehn@...co.com>
To:	David Brownell <david-b@...bell.net>
Cc:	Pierre Ossman <pierre@...man.eu>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-embedded@...r.kernel.org,
	nico@....org, nicolas.ferre@....atmel.com, hskinnemoen@...el.com,
	tony@...mide.com, manuel.lauss@...il.com, mirq-linux@...e.qmqm.pl,
	ppisa@...ron.com, jarkko.lavinen@...ia.com, ben@...ff.org,
	saschasommer@...enet.de, avorontsov@...mvista.com, oakad@...oo.com,
	ian@...menth.co.uk, HaraldWelte@...tech.com, JosephChan@....com.tw,
	adrian.hunter@...ia.com
Subject: Re: New MMC maintainer needed

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:51:23PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> On Friday 31 July 2009, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > Restoring back the system state from MMC after a successful hibernation
> > http://marc.info/?t=124818534700003&r=1&w=2
> >
> > I don't agree with this approach. The point of the workqueue is so that
> > the kernel can do things in parallel, so this patch is a step back. The
> > problem is really with how the kernel doesn't properly cope with
> > asynchronous disk scanning during bootup. The root_delay parameter was
> > added for this for the "normal" case, but it seems more work is needed.
>
> Doesn't handing of resumes needs more attention overall?
>
> Example, root on eMMC (e.g. a 32-MByte non-removable chip) wouldn't
> resume at all well the last time I checked ... mounted file systems
> (not just root) made trouble.  Hardware that reliably reports card
> insert/remove was rude in the same ways.
>
> - Dave

I've been half- (or less) watching this discussion, but I'm sort of thinking
that one piece of this might be a patch I just reposted that provides for
synchronizing the discovery/initialization of devices during start up with
their use. One thing I expect it to do is to largely eliminate the need for
root_delay. It currently knows nothing about resuming, but perhaps it should.

Since the patch touches USB and SCSI, as well as some core kernel pieces, it
was posted to a bunch of places, but by tomorrow you should be able to find it
by searching for "initdev" in the kernel mailing list archives.

David VomLehn