Date:	Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:32:11 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Paul Mundt <lethal@...ux-sh.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	Jason Baron <jbaron@...hat.com>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Lai Jiangshan <laijs@...fujitsu.com>,
	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...ymtl.ca>,
	Jiaying Zhang <jiayingz@...gle.com>,
	Martin Bligh <mbligh@...gle.com>,
	Li Zefan <lizf@...fujitsu.com>,
	Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...hat.com>,
	Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@...ibm.com>,
	Wu Zhangjin <wuzj@...ote.com>, linux-next@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] tracing: Syscalls trace events + perf support

* Paul Mundt <lethal@...ux-sh.org> wrote:

> [ Adding to Cc everyone that now has a broken tree thanks to this .. ]
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:11:33AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com> wrote:
> > > This pull request integrate one cleanup/fix for ftrace and an
> > > update for syscall tracing: the migration from old-style tracer to
> > > individual tracepoints/trace_events and the support for perf
> > > counter.
> > >
> > > I've tested it with success either with ftrace (every syscall
> > > tracepoints enabled at the same time without problems) and with
> > > perfcounter.
> > >
> > > May be one drawback: it creates so much trace events that the
> > > ftrace selftests can take some time :-)
> >
> > Pulled, thanks a lot!
>
> And this has now subsequently broken every single SH and S390
> configuration, [...]

I test SH cross-builds regularly. I just checked the SH defconfig
and it builds just fine here:

$ make -j32 CROSS_COMPILE=sh3-linux- ARCH=sh vmlinux

  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
  KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S
  AS      .tmp_kallsyms1.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux2
  KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms2.S
  AS      .tmp_kallsyms2.o
  LD      vmlinux
  SYSMAP  System.map
  SYSMAP  .tmp_System.map

 phoenix:~/linux/linux> head .config
 #
 # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
 # Linux kernel version: 2.6.31-rc6
 # Tue Aug 18 09:24:28 2009
 #
 CONFIG_SUPERH=y
 CONFIG_SUPERH32=y
 # CONFIG_SUPERH64 is not set
 CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG="arch/sh/configs/shx3_defconfig"

AFAICS SH does not even have any syscall tracing added upstream.
Apparently you added them in the SH tree and then they got
integrated in linux-next, and the integrated end result broke?

Mind putting those bits into a separate Git branch and sending them
to the tracing tree too so that we can make sure it's properly
integrated and tested and that any changes to the generic facility
are propagated to SH too?

Thanks,

	Ingo