Date:	Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:45:07 +0200
From:	martin f krafft <madduck@...ian.org>
To:	Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...il.com>
Cc:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>, Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	NeilBrown <neilb@...e.de>, Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>,
	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>, Florian Weimer <fweimer@....de>,
	Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@....de>,
	kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...l.org>, mtk.manpages@...il.com,
	rdunlap@...otime.net, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, corbet@....net
Subject: Re: raid is dangerous but that's secret (was Re: [patch] ext2/3:
 document conditions when reliable operation is possible)

also sprach Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...il.com> [2009.09.01.0026 +0200]:
> I misspoke w.r.t journalling, the idea I was trying to get across
> was to remount with -o sync while running on a degraded array, but
> given some of the other comments in this thread I'm not even sure
> that would help.  the idea was to make writes as safe as possible
> (at the cost of speed) when running on a degraded array, and to
> have the transition be as hands-free as possible, just have the
> kernel (or mdadm) by default remount.

I don't see how that is any more necessary with a degraded array
than it is when you have a fully working array. Sync just ensures
that the data are written and not cached, but that has absolutely
nothing to do with the underlying storage. Or am I failing to see
the link?

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info

"how do you feel about women's rights?"
"i like either side of them."
                                                       -- groucho marx

Download attachment "digital_signature_gpg.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (198 bytes)