Date:	Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:02:56 +1000
From:	Con Kolivas <kernel@...ivas.org>
To:	Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@...cle.com>
Cc:	Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@...or.de>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Mike Galbraith <efault@....de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:50:43 Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > On 09/09/2009 09:04 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> At least in my tests these latencies were mainly due to a bug in
> >> latt.c - i've attached the fixed version.
> >>
> >> The other reason was wakeup batching. If you do this:
> >>
> >>     echo 0>  /proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns
> >>
> >> ... then you can switch on insta-wakeups on -tip too.
> >>
> >> With a dual-core box and a make -j4 background job running, on
> >> latest -tip i get the following latencies:
> >>
> >>   $ ./latt -c8 sleep 30
> >>   Entries: 656 (clients=8)
> >>
> >>   Averages:
> >>   ------------------------------
> >>   	Max	      158 usec
> >> 	Avg	       12 usec
> >> 	Stdev	       10 usec
> >
> > With your version of latt.c, I get these results with 2.6-tip vs
> > 2.6.31-rc9-bfs:
> >

> > (mainline)
> > Averages:
> > ------------------------------
> >         Max            50 usec
> >         Avg            12 usec
> >         Stdev           3 usec
> >

> > (BFS)
> > Averages:
> > ------------------------------
> >         Max           474 usec
> >         Avg            11 usec
> >         Stdev          16 usec
> >

> > However, the interactivity problems still remain.  Does that mean it's
> > not a latency issue?
>
> It probably just means that latt isn't a good measure of the problem.
> Which isn't really too much of a surprise.

And that's a real shame because this was one of the first real good attempts
I've seen to actually measure the difference, and I thank you for your
efforts Jens. I believe the reason it's limited is because all you're
measuring is time from wakeup and the test app isn't actually doing any work.
The issue is more than just waking up as fast as possible, it's then doing
some meaningful amount of work within a reasonable time frame as well. What
the "meaningful amount of work" and "reasonable time frame" are, remains a
mystery, but I guess could be added on to this testing app.

What does please me now, though, is that this message thread is finally
concentrating on what BFS was all about. The fact that it doesn't scale is no
mystery whatsoever. The fact that that throughput and lack of scaling was
what was given attention was missing the point entirely. To point that out I
used the bluntest response possible, because I know that works on lkml (does
it not?). Unfortunately I was so blunt that I ended up writing it in another
language; Troll. So for that, I apologise.

The unfortunate part is that BFS is still far from a working, complete state,
yet word got out that I had "released" something, which I had not, but
obviously there's no great distinction between putting something on a server
for testing, and a real release with an announce.

BFS is a scheduling experiment to demonstrate what effect the cpu scheduler
really has on the desktop and how it might be able to perform if we design
the scheduler for that one purpose.

It pleases me immensely to see that it has already spurred on a flood of
changes to the interactivity side of mainline development in its few days of
existence, including some ideas that BFS uses itself. That in itself, to me,
means it has already started to accomplish its goal, which ultimately, one
way or another, is to improve what the CPU scheduler can do for the linux
desktop. I can't track all the sensitive areas of the mainline kernel
scheduler changes without getting involved more deeply than I care to so it
would be counterproductive of me to try and hack on mainline. I much prefer
the quieter inbox.

If people want to use BFS for their own purposes or projects, or even better
help hack on it, that would make me happy for different reasons. I will
continue to work on my little project -in my own time- and hope that it
continues to drive further development of the mainline kernel in its own way.
We need more experiments like this to question what we currently have and
accept. Other major kernel subsystems are no exception.

Regards,
--
-ck

<code before rhetoric>