Date:	Mon, 21 Sep 2009 22:04:50 +0200
From:	Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@...e.de>
To:	Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>
Cc:	Jamie Lokier <jamie@...reable.org>,
	Evgeniy Polyakov <zbr@...emap.net>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, viro@...iv.linux.org.uk,
	alan@...ux.intel.com, hch@...radead.org
Subject: Re: fanotify as syscalls

On Saturday, 19 September 2009 5:04:31 Eric Paris wrote:
> Let me start by saying I am agreeing I should pursue subtree
> notification.  It's what I think everyone really wants.  It's a great
> idea, and I think you might have a simple way to get close.  Clearly
> these are avenues I'm willing and hoping to pursue.  Also I say it
> again, I believe the interface as proposed (except maybe some of my
> exclusion stuff) is flexible enough to implement any of these ideas.
> Does anyone disagree?

It does seem flexible enough. However, the current interface assumes "global"
listeners (the mask argument of fanotify_init):

  int fanotify_init(int flags, int f_flags, __u64 mask,
		    unsigned int priority);

Once subtree support is added, this parameter becomes obsolete. That's pretty
broken for a syscall yet to be introduced.

> BUT to solve one of the main problems fanotify is intending to solve it
> needs a way to be the 'fscking all notifier.'  It needs to be the whole
> damn system.

Think of a system after boot, with a single global namespace. Whatever you
access by filename is reachable from the namespace root. At this point,
nothing more global exists. A listener can watch the mount points of
interest, and everything's fine.

What's a bit more tricky is to ensure that this listener will continue to
receive all events from whatever else is mounted anywhere, irrespective of
namespaces. I think we can get there.

By the way, Documentation/filesystems/sharedsubtree.txt describes how
filesystem namespaces work.

Thanks,
Andreas