Date:	Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:19:41 +1000
From:	Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@...nel.crashing.org>
To:	Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven@...ycom.com>
Cc:	Linux/PPC Development <linuxppc-dev@...abs.org>,
	Linux Kernel Development <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux Test Project <Ltp-list@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [LTP] mmapstress03 weirdness? (fwd)

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 15:40 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> With 32-bit userland, this boils down to:
>
> | mmap addr 0x7fff0000 size 0x7fff0000
> | mmap returned 0x7fff0000
>
> i.e. mmap() succeeds, but (1) the test expects it to fail, so the test returns
> TFAIL, but (2) ltp-pan still reports that the tests passed?

What is the output of /proc/<pid>/maps after that mmap ?

With a 64-bit kernel, 32-bit userspace has access to the entire 4G
address space, so mapping 2G-64k at the 2G-64k point can work, provided
you aren't overlapping an existing mapping such as the stack.

> In addition, sometimes mmapstress03 fails due to SEGV. I created a small test
> program that just does the above mmap(), and depending on the distro and what
> else I print later it crashes with a SEGV, too. Probably this happens because
> the mmap() did succeed, and corrupted some existing mappings, cfr. the notes
> for MAP_FIXED:

That's possible.

>        MAP_FIXED
>               Don’t  interpret  addr  as  a hint: place the mapping at exactly
>               that address.  addr must be a multiple of the page size.  If the
>               memory  region  specified  by addr and len overlaps pages of any
>               existing mapping(s), then the overlapped part  of  the  existing
>               mapping(s)  will  be discarded.  If the specified address cannot
>               be used, mmap() will fail.  Because requiring  a  fixed  address
>               for  a  mapping is less portable, the use of this option is dis‐
>               couraged.

Yeah, I suppose the test might be wiping out its own stack for example

IE. I think that test is just bogus :-)

> JFYI, with 64-bit userland, this boils down to:
>
> | mmap addr 0x7fffffffffff0000 size 0x7fffffffffff0000
> | mmap returned 0xffffffffffffffff
>
> i.e. mmap() fails as expected, and the test succeeds.

Right because on 64-bit userspace, you only are allowed something like
16T of address space.

> Does all of this sound OK?
> Thanks for your comments!

Yes, I think so far, it's just bogus tests :-)

Cheers,
Ben.