Date:	Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:57:36 -0400
From:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:	Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...tplc.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: 2.6.31.1 boot crash, compiled with ftrace

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 09:57 -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

> My real pursuit here is to find the reason for a nearly 1 second latency
> when running a SCHED_RR userspace process.  The filesystem is ext3 off
> the flash card via IDE. Linux is yanking the machine away from this
> process sporadically for up to 1 second, no disk file calls in this
> proces, only some serial port and networking (epoll) userspace calls in
> a loop.  It is insane.  So I have to get either LTT or FTRACE enabled,
> never used either before.  Its been a tough 2 weeks.  Just getting the
> LTT patches in sync with a decent kernel has been nearly unbearable.

Great to hear that you narrowed it down. BTW, if you want to learn some
more about ftrace, I just gave a 2 hour tutorial at LinuxCon last week.
You can download the slides in the link below. They show lots of
samples. I'll also start writing a howto for LWN real soon. So if you
don't already have a subscription, I suggest you get one ;-)

http://people.redhat.com/srostedt/ftrace-tutorial-linux-con-2009.odp

-- Steve