Date:	Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:28:53 -0600
From:	Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@...il.com>
To:	Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer@....ac.at>
CC:	Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>, Frans Pop <elendil@...net.nl>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org,
	Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@...ox.com>
Subject: Re: 2.6.{30,31} x86_64 ahci problem - irq 23: nobody cared

On 10/12/2009 09:03 AM, Alexander Huemer wrote:
> Alexander Huemer wrote:
>> Tejun Heo wrote:

>>> [ 3.872387] i2c /dev entries driver
>>> [ 3.873943] i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: PCI INT B -> GSI 23 (level, low)
>>> -> IRQ 23
>>> [ 3.875580] w83627hf: Found W83627HF chip at 0x290
>>>
>>> IRQ23 is also used by i801_smbus and it would be nice to confirm
>>> whether the problem can still be triggered with that driver not
>>> loaded. Adding "blacklist i2c_i801" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
>>> should probabaly do the trick.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> okay, i think you assume that i2c_i801 is a module.
>> it is indeed built into the kernel.
>> i'll rebuild the kernel without that component and run a test again.
>>
>> regards
>> -alex
> tejun, it seems you hit an interesting point.
> i compiled kernel-2.6.31.3 with my ususal config _without_ i2c_i801.
> my usual test (compilation of gcc-4.3.2) finished 5 times without the
> error.
> i'll let it run some more times over night.
> does anybody have an idea how i can trace what exactly causes the error
> during the compilation run so that i can create a short test program ?

Do you have any hardware sensors monitoring software running (such as
the GNOME sensors panel applet or something?) Something like that would
be the most likely cause for something to access the smbus driver.

Interesting that the device seems to be on the same interrupt but it
hasn't registered itself as a handler (it looks like that driver doesn't
use interrupts). If the device did generate an interrupt though, it
would indeed cause this problem.