Date:	Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:31:01 +0100
From:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
To:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
Cc:	Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, linville@...driver.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Please consider reverting
 7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 00:22 -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> I do not understand what the fuss is about. We are pretty far in release
> process (rc6 is about to be cut I'd expect) and we have an issue that
> for all practical purposes kills the box on resume. Yes, I want action
> to be swift in this case and (unless author or maintainer - who were
> CCed on the email - have otehr solutiuon) the offending commit to be
> reverted. If it was rc1 or rc2 or 3 I'd feel differently.

Oh, I don't disagree that swift action is good.

I just think that it's a matter of courtesy that should be independent
from the release cycle to ask the author/maintainer by default, not as a
second thought ("unless [...] have other solution"). You can always CC
Linus and ask him to revert if you don't get a response.

What's wrong with that? It doesn't actually delay the action, but it
makes the discussion much more friendly and cooperative instead of
giving the author and maintainer the feeling that their opinion only
matters as a second thought.

johannes

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (802 bytes)