Date:	Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:29:55 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, johannes@...solutions.net,
	linville@...driver.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Please consider reverting
	7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344

* Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org> wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> > > no questions that it needs fixed, I agree with you. However just blindly
> > > reverting something, because it fixes it for one or two people, might
> > > have side effects that causes more problems than the revert would
> > > actually fix.
> >
> > Stop whining. Really.
> >
> > Everybody understands that it should be fixed.  That's not the question.
> >
> > But it should be fixed _quickly_. In this case, I have a bisection report
> > FROM TWO DAYS AGO. And I'm still kicking myself for not just reverting
> > that piece-of-shit commit then, because I spent the time to look at the
> > oops and the commit, and could tell that it was crap.
> >
> > Instead, I _did_ wait for the subsystem maintainer to get around to it. As
> > a result of waiting, I've now wasted time for a lot of other people.
>
> I do have a patch in my inbox from Johannes from 4 days ago that fixes
> this issue.
>
> 	http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=125697124819563&w=2
>
> So what is the take away from this now? Do you wanna have Johannes
> step over John and Dave and send such a patch directly to you?

The problem as i see it is the kind of answer Johannes gave when the bug
was bisected to by Jeff Chua two days ago:

  Subject: wpa2 hangs v2.6.32-rc5-402-gb6727b1. Revert
           7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344 fixed it.

 [ <1257151742.3555.165.camel@...annes.local> ]

 | On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 23:18 +0800, Jeff Chua wrote:
 | > wpa2 (wpa_supplicant) hangs v2.6.32-rc5-402-gb6727b1.
 |
 | Explain?
 |
 | > Reverting 7d930bc33653d5592dc386a76a38f39c2e962344 fixes it.
 |
 | Certainly not a good idea, will break when your AP denies association.
 |
 | johannes

Unhelpful, defensive, in denial.

Plus that you tried to berate Dmitry in this particular thread about the
revert was pretty bad form too IMO.

_Anyone_ who went through the unnecessary, avoidable cost of having to
do a bisection of a 3 days old commit merged at around -rc5 time is in
his full rights to ask for a revert, straight from Linus if he thinks
so. No ifs and when about it.

So IMO you are showing the wrong kind of attitude for a post-rc5
regression, by a _wide_ margin. The right kind of attitude would be:

  "Oops, my bad - thanks. I've queued up a revert."

or:

  "Oops, my bad - thanks. Does the attached patch fix it?
   If not we'll revert it."

Furthermore, your 'hey, nothing happened, we fixed it after all'
argument is just a forewarning that you learned nothing and such
avoidable incidents could repeat in the future.

	Ingo