Date:	Wed, 04 Nov 2009 01:50:41 +0100
From:	Andre Tomt <andre@...t.net>
To:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>
CC:	tfjellstrom@...w.ca, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-scsi <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: 2.6.31-rc9 kernel BUG and mvsas

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On 09/09/2009 12:30 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
>> No errors on that disk. Other than the one above, and its more of a
>> warning.
>> However, I just rebooted to add some extra drives, thinking everything
>> was
>> working a little better now that I've updated to 2.6.31-rc9, I'm
>> treated to
>> the following two messages right after boot (and a system lockup to
>> boot):

Jeff & Co,

Just chiming in with a "me too" comment.

Identical issues with the AOC-SASLP-MV8 card with 8 Seagate Barracuda
7200.11 1.5TB drives using the mvsas driver. Creating a md raid array
seems to trigger it nearly instantly, however other loads do not trigger
it as fast (if at all, only tested briefly with paralell dd).

Not sure if its related in any way, but I also noticed that with
parallell dd read on all ports, the card/driver tops out at 600MB/s even
though the card is in a northbridge connected slot running in x4 mode.
Only the first 4-5 ports run at nearly full speed, while the rest barely
gets to read any data at all. To illustrate, it looks sort of like this
in iostat -m:
sda 122
sdb 122
sbc 120
sdd 121
sde 100
sdf 10
sdg 5
sdh 5

Starting to think this driver has some issues with concurrency.. The
other controllers have no issues saturating all their ports, even if
they are on a south bridge connected slot.

Same disks/setup works just fine on AHCI and sata_mv controllers on the
same computer, easily pushes 8-900MB/s with md software raid5/6 (Yipes!)