Date:	Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:59:02 -0500
From:	David Ellingsworth <david@...ntd.dyndns.org>
To:	Gertjan van Wingerde <gwingerde@...il.com>
Cc:	rt2x00 Users List <users@...x00.serialmonkey.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	wireless <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [rt2x00-users] ieee80211_tx_status: headroom too small

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Gertjan van Wingerde
<gwingerde@...il.com> wrote:
> On 11/22/09 08:09, David Ellingsworth wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Gertjan van Wingerde
>> <gwingerde@...il.com> wrote:

>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> This seems to be caused by the rt2x00 driver not properly declaring its alignment
>>> maneuvring space properly, and thus it doesn't leave enough headroom left for
>>> copying to the monitor interface.
>>>
>>> Can you check whether the attached patch fixes the issue for you?
>>> Note: patch looks a bit bigger than it actually is due to indenting cleanups.
>>>

>> Gertjan,
>>
>> I haven't really been able to test this. The kernel version I was
>> using at the time was 2.6.32-rc7-wl and not 2.6.32-rc8-wl. I'm rather
>> certain the patch will resolve the issue, but I've been unable to get
>> my wireless card to function properly with the latest 2.6.32-rc8-wl
>> master branch. I'm not entirely sure what changed since two days ago,
>> but I know the following:
>>
>> 1. 2.6.32-rc8 from Linus' master branch works fine but still exhibits
>> this issue. However, this patch will not apply on top of 2.6.32-rc8.
>>
>> 2. 2.6.32-rc7-wl(11/19/2009) worked fine with the exception of the
>> above mentioned error. Unable to test patch since I pulled all the
>> recent modifications down.
>> 3. 2.6.32-rc8-wl does not work at all for me, but patch does apply.
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure what the differences are between Linus' master
>> branch of 2.6.32-rc8 and the current 2.6.32-rc8-wl tree are or what
>> changes have been made on the wireless-testing master branch in the
>> last couple of days that are preventing me from fully testing this
>> patch.
>>
>> With the current wireless-testing master branch, 2.6.32-rc8-wl, with
>> and without the patch I can associate and authenticate with my AP but
>> am unable to do anything else. Any attempt to establish a wireless
>> connection thus dies while trying to obtain an ip address via DHCP.
>> Sadly, no errors are logged indicating what the cause of this problem
>> might be. Given that I've only seen these errors after establishing a
>> wireless connection, it's a little difficult for me to test without
>> being able to transmit any data.
>>
>> I don't know if it's worth the effort or not, but if this patch were
>> re-based against Linus' master branch I might be able to test it since
>> my AP at least works with 2.6.32-rc8.
>
> David,
>
> OK. Find attached the patch ported to Linus' tree. It should apply to
> any version of Linus' tree after 2.6.32-rc8.
> I think it is good to get real confirmation that the patch behaves
> as expected.
>
> ---
> Gertjan.

Gertjan,

The patch applies but doesn't quite fix the issue with the rt61pci
driver. With the patch applied, I still occasionally receive the error
message. I added a printk after the error to see how much was missing.
It indicates that skb_headroom is 12 and sizeof(*rthdr) is 13 when it
fails.

Regards,

David Ellingsworth