Date:	Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:23:02 +0100
From:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
To:	"Sachin Rane" <SRane@...hion.com>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Need Info about IDE driver

On Tuesday 24 November 2009, Sachin Rane wrote:

> I am new to  'IDE' Linux driver.
> Before writing this mail I tried to get information from internet but
> couldn't hit the website which can give developer point of view
> information.
>
> I am going through the code '
> kernel-2.6.16.1-ts.amcc440gx.basic.1/drivers/ide/pci/siimage.c' and user
> manual for 'Sil0680' to understand how the IDE driver works.

Hi Sachin,

To make sure you're now going down the wrong path, please be advised
that the 'IDE' drivers are no longer under active development and
are getting replaced by the 'libata' subsystem. You should be looking
at drivers/ata/pata_sil680.c and possibly stat_sil*.c.

Also, note that 2.6.16 is very old and any work you invest there is
probably wasted, so look at the latest version 2.6.31 or 2.6.32.

	Arnd <><