Date:	Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:18:56 +0100
From:	Florian Mickler <florian@...kler.org>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject:  Re: pci=off

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:52:50 -0400
"werner" <w.landgraf@...ru> wrote:

> "werner" <w.landgraf@...ru>
> In the last time, more and more laptops have problems to
> boot with Linux.
>
> The most frequent problem is that IDE drives are not
> found, or cannot be accessed because reclaimed as ocupied.
>   The only mean to access them and to get it booted, is
> with pci=off.   However, with this, the system becomes
> almost unuseable, lspci also shows nothing.      ITS
> NECESSARY THAT SOMEONE MAKE A KERNEL PARAMETER  pci=noide
> , so that all hardware is registered, with exception of
> ide (and sata) drives   !!!!   This problem, for example,
> also happens on IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad laptops.

i run on thinkpad r61 . i have experienced no problems.
what specific model are you running into trouble and with what
specific kernel-configuration?

maybe this helps: http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html

> A Toshibe Satelite laptop, I need go back to kernel 2.6.23
> . With later kernels, at the beginning of the boot the
> screen become black and nothing more happened.  The same
> happens on that laptop with all newer Slackware kernels

did you try any recent fedora/ubuntu/debian live-dvds? this is normally
the easiest way to check if there is a real problem or if it is only a
kernel-configuration issue.

cheers,
flo