Date:	Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:00:20 -0800
From:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>
To:	Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@...il.com>
Cc:	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...hat.com>,
	Devin Heitmueller <dheitmueller@...nellabs.com>,
	Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@...il.com>, awalls@...ix.net,
	j@...nau.net, jarod@...hat.com, jarod@...sonet.com, khc@...waw.pl,
	linux-input@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-media@...r.kernel.org, lirc-list@...ts.sourceforge.net,
	superm1@...ntu.com, Christoph Bartelmus <lirc@...telmus.de>
Subject: Re: [RFC v2] Another approach to IR

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:37:02AM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Dmitry Torokhov
> <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com> wrote:

> >> I'm not against mapping those features as sysfs atributes, but they don't belong
> >> to lirc, as far as I understand. From all we've discussed, we'll create a lirc
> >> interface to allow the direct usage of raw IO. However, IR protocol is a property
> >> that is not related to raw IO mode but, instead, to evdev mode.
> >>

> > Why would protocol relate to evdev node? Evdev does not really care what
> > how the fact that a certain button was pressed was communicated to it.
> > It may be deliveretd through PS/2 port, or maybe it was Bluetooth HID,
> > or USB HID or USB boot protocol or some custom protocol, or RC-5, NEC or
> > some custom IR protocol. It makes no difference _whatsoever_ to evdev
> > nor any users of evdev care about protocol used by underlying hardware
> > device to transmit the data.
> >
> >> We might add a /sys/class/IR and add IR specific stuff there, but it seems
> >> overkill to me and will hide the fact that those parameters are part of the evdev
> >> interface.
> >>
> >> So, I would just add the IR sysfs parameters at the /sys/class/input, if
> >> the device is an IR (or create it is /sys/class/input/IR).
> >>
> >> I agree that the code to implement the IR specific sysfs parameter should be kept
> >> oustide input core, as they're specific to IR implementations.
> >>
> >> Would this work for you?
> >
> > I am seeing a little bit differently structured subsystem for IR at the
> > moment. I think we should do something like this:
> >
> > - receivers create /sys/class/lirc devices. These devices provide API
> >  with a ring buffer (fifo) for the raw data stream coming from (and to)
> >  them.
>
> The FIFO will have to appear as a /dev/device or be in debugfs. GregKH
> sent earlier mail telling me to get the FIFO out of sysfs.

No, I expect it not to be directly exposed to userspace at all, just a
part of in-kernel subsystem API. This is the way interfaces/decoders
will communicate with drivers. lirc_dev interface will take data from
fifo and send to userspace.

> > - we allow registering several data interfaces/decoders that can be bound
> >  (manually or maybe automatically) to lirc devices. lirc devices may
> >  provide hints as to which interface(s) better suited for handling the
> >  data coming form particular receiver. Several interfaces may be bound
> >  to one device at a time.
> > - one of the interfaces is interface implementing current lirc_dev
> > - other interfaces may be in-kernel RC-5 decoder or other decoders.
> >  decoders will create instances of input devices (for each
> >  remote/substream that they can recognize).
>
> This includes defining IR events for evdev with vendor/device/command triplets?

No, I believe that adding EV_IR type of events to evdev would be a
mistake.

> You need those standard events to make apps IR aware.

But I do not want to make application IR-aware. If applications want to
be IR-aware they can work with lircd. I want applications react to
buttons/actions no matter which device issues those as long as the codes
are the same. IOW if you happen to have multimedia-type USB keyboard that
has button for play and you have a IR that has that button as well I'd
expect application to perform the same response (start playing).

> LIRC will also need to inject those events after decoding pulse data.

LIRC will need to inject EV_KEY events.

> > This way there is clear layering, protocol selection is kept at lirc
> > level.
>
> Did you checkout capabilities bits in evdev?

Not sure if I understand the question.. Yes, I am aware that evdev
presents capabilities of the device userspace; no, I do not think that
they are applicable here (since there won't be EV_IR events).

--
Dmitry