Date:	Wed, 2 Dec 2009 18:15:29 -0500
From:	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...ymtl.ca>
To:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Cc:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...hat.com>,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	mingo@...hat.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	randy.dunlap@...cle.com, wcohen@...hat.com, fweisbec@...il.com,
	tglx@...utronix.de, jbaron@...hat.com,
	linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org, Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>
Subject: Re: trace/events: DECLARE vs DEFINE semantic

* H. Peter Anvin (hpa@...or.com) wrote:
> On 12/02/2009 02:57 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> >>
> >> TRACE_CLASS - Declares a class
> >> TRACE_CLASS_EVENT - defines an event for said class
> >> TRACE_EVENT - Declares a class and defines an event (as is today)
> >
> > Yep, it looks good! It's self-descriptive and don't require to explain
> > what the thing is doing each time we refer to it. (however I feel a bit
> > sad for Fred, Wilma and Barney) ;)
> >

> Although you have to admit it's a bit confusing that:
>
> TRACE_EVENT = TRACE_CLASS + TRACE_CLASS_EVENT
>
> ... as opposed to ...
>
> TRACE_CLASS_EVENT = TRACE_CLASS + TRACE_EVENT
>
> 	-hpa

Then I would say that TRACE_EVENT should probably not have the
side-effect of declaring a globally-reuseable class. Maybe under the
hood it could create a privately-named class, but I don't see how it can
be re-used by following TRACE_CLASS_EVENT without causing confusion.

I'd go for:

TRACE_CLASS - Declares/defines a class
TRACE_CLASS_EVENT - Declares/defines an event for said class
TRACE_EVENT - Declares/defines a private class and declares/defines an event

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers