Date:	Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:48:00 -0700
From:	alhaz@...ssion.com
To:	lirc-list@...ts.sourceforge.net
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-media@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-input@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2] Another approach to IR

Quoting Jon Smirl <jonsmirl@...il.com>:

>>> Now I understand that if 2 remotes send completely identical signals we
>>> won't be able to separate them, but in cases when we can I think we
>>> should.
>>
>> I don't have a problem with that, if its a truly desired feature.
>> But for the most part, I don't see the point. Generally, you go
>> from having multiple remotes, one per device (where "device" is
>> your TV, amplifier, set top box, htpc, etc), to having a single
>> universal remote that controls all of those devices. But for each
>> device (IR receiver), *one* IR command set. The desire to use
>> multiple distinct remotes with a single IR receiver doesn't make
>> sense to me. Perhaps I'm just not creative enough in my use of IR. :)

 From a hobbiest's perspective there's likely rarely any reason to be
able to do the same thing with two different remotes that send
different signals, but i could see it come up - For example if you
wanted to have both a feature-rich,  busy/complicated remote but also
wanted to provide a simpler remote with a relatively small number of
large buttons on it for basic functions, as for children or people
with poor eyesight or poor motor control.

 From a business perspective, I've worked for a company that sold
turn-key video training systems, and depending on the whims of our
so-called business partners and the desires of customers, there were
as many as three distinct remotes that might get shipped with the
training system, and they all sent different signals.

That was a less than ideal situation, and if we had been really on top
of things we'd have just declined to use any of those remotes and
bought custom remotes from any of the numerous vendors that sell them
which would allow us to have one set of IR signals used by remotes
with different features - but for whatever reason that wasn't how
management decided to do things.