Date:	Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:41:27 -0700
From:	Alex Chiang <achiang@...com>
To:	Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>, tiwai@...e.de
Cc:	linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-input@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: synaptics touchpad doesn't click

Hi Dmitry, Takashi,

* Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 06:48:28PM -0700, Alex Chiang wrote:
> > Hi Dmitry,
> >
> > I just got a shiny new piece of hardware (HP Envy 15) with a
> > Synaptics touchpad, and I can't seem to make the touchpad work
> > correctly.  In this version of the touchpad, there are actually
> > two physical buttons underneath the pad. In essence, this is a
> > touchpad that you can click too.
> >
> > I can't get the clicking to work. Of course, I can tap to click,
> > but lacking access to the physical buttons means that I can't
> > right-click.
> >
> > Currently, I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or perhaps
> > something higher up the stack, perhaps in X or maybe pilot error.
> > ;)
> >
> > Distro is Ubuntu Karmic, kernel is latest upstream last pulled on
> > 13 Dec.
> >
> > Would like some pointers on how to get started debugging.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > /ac
> >
> > dmesg snip:
> >  Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
> >  brd: module loaded
> >  loop: module loaded
> >  input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input3
> >  [...]
> >  Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 7.4, id: 0x1e0b1, caps: 0xd04771/0xe40000
> >  input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input10
> >

> Hmm, that's the new Synaptics "clickpad"... Takashi Iwai just posted a
> coupleof patches for it on the input mailing list.

I can't respond to that thread directly because I'm not a
subscriber and can't find the message-id, so just responding
here.

Thanks, I did grab Takashi's patches and verify that they work
for me. I tested the separated patches, not the v2 combined
patch, although it doesn't make any difference based on visual
inspection of v2.

If you want, you can add my:

Tested-by: Alex Chiang <achiang@...com>

Thanks!