Date:	Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:26:49 -0500
From:	Michael Breuer <mbreuer@...jas.com>
To:	Berck Nash <flyboy@...il.com>
Cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
Subject: Re: sky2 panic in 2.6.32.1 under load

On 12/24/2009 11:16 AM, Berck Nash wrote:

>>> Let's cc the right list and developer.
>>>
>>> This is a 2.6.31->2.6.32 regression?
>>>

>> I don't think so. I saw this on 2.6.31 - first kernel I put on this
>> system. At the time, I was having issues with intel_iommu and thought
>> that the culprit.
>> The initial reply to this thread from Daniel Hazelton stated that this
>> has been happening since 2.6.25.
>>
> Your oops appears to be different than mine.  Hazelton did not provide
> any logs, and he said "a version of this" so I don't know if his is the
> same or not.

Actually, I have two different oops, and a couple of crashes without any
oops at all. All were produced under the same conditions, all pointing
at sky2. I'd guess at memory corruption under load with subsequent
divergent manifestations. The real question is whether the bug is in the
kernel or the NIC firmware. There were similar reports online of this
behavior affecting Vista, however those were resolved by moving to later
firmware. I've recreated the crash on the later firmware however.

Summary of conditions that appear to be required for the
lockup/oops/panic(s):

1. Running at 1Gb.
2. High traffic into the system (out seems ok).
3. For me, the crash only occurs when smbd is the application generating
the traffic.