Date:	Fri, 25 Dec 2009 06:55:08 +0900
From:	Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@...ove.SAKURA.ne.jp>
To:	ebiederm@...ssion.com
Cc:	michael@...top.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org, andi@...stfloor.org,
	david@...g.hm, socketcan@...tkopp.net, alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk,
	herbert@...dor.apana.org.au, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu,
	bdonlan@...il.com, zbr@...emap.net, cscott@...ott.net,
	jmorris@...ei.org, bernie@...ewiz.org, mrs@...hic-beasts.com,
	randy.dunlap@...cle.com, xiyou.wangcong@...il.com
Subject: Re: A basic question about the security_* hooks

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> My immediate impression is that the big limitation today is the
> sharing of the void * security data members of strucutres.

I think the time to change "void * security" is approaching.

What about allocating dedicated "void *" for each in-tree security modules and
let proposed security modules use "void * security" so that proposed security
modules can be evaluated without allocating dedicated "void *", something like

  struct foo {
  #ifdef CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX
    	void *selinux;
  #endif
  #ifdef CONFIG_SECURITY_SMACK
  	void *smack;
  #endif
  #ifdef CONFIG_SECURITY_PROPOSED
  	void *security
  #endif
  }

  struct bar {
  #ifdef CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX
  	void *selinux;
  #endif
  #ifdef CONFIG_SECURITY_PROPOSED
  	void *security
  #endif
  }

?

Regarding TOMOYO, "void * security" automatically added to many structure is
nothing but waste of memory because TOMOYO don't need "void * security" except
"struct task_struct".