Date:	Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:37:55 +0100
From:	Jörn Engel <joern@...fs.org>
To:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Cc:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>, Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	util-linux-ng@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng v2.17 (stable)

On Tue, 12 January 2010 00:19:24 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I believe for Smartmedia the FTL is done host side, but that there is a
> standard-specified FTL (called CIS, Card Information System.)

A CIS block/page is part of the FTL design.  Not sure whether it also
lends its name to it.  I'll just take your word for it.

Whether the FTL is done host side depends on the card reader and your
definition of host side.  Most old card readers implemented it in the
driver, but some newer ones prefer to export a usb mass storage
interface, thereby not requiring any driver CD.

Jörn

--
You cannot suppose that Moliere ever troubled himself to be original in the
matter of ideas. You cannot suppose that the stories he tells in his plays