Date:	Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:16:37 +0100
From:	stephane eranian <eranian@...glemail.com>
To:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:	Corey Ashford <cjashfor@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@...ba.org>,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Xiao Guangrong <xiaoguangrong@...fujitsu.com>,
	Dan Terpstra <terpstra@...s.utk.edu>,
	Philip Mucci <mucci@...s.utk.edu>,
	Maynard Johnson <mpjohn@...ibm.com>, Carl Love <cel@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] perf_events: support for uncore a.k.a. nest units

The offcore_response register is a CORE PMU register.
I know the name is confusing.

OFFCORE_RESPONSE_0 is not a counter but rather an
extension of the filtering capabilities of regular counters.
To use offcore_response_0, you will need to program
a generic counter (1 config, 1 data) + offcore_response_0.
This is a very useful feature to understand memory traffic.

There is an associated difficulty though. The
offcore_response_0 MSR is shared between HT threads.
Thus the kernel needs to arbitrate. That should be taken
care of by the event scheduling code which I am working
on.

In the context of perf_event, you need to find some encoding
of the event to pass as RAW. The raw event code + umask
is 0x01B7. Then, you need to encode the value for the
offcore_response_0 MSR, which is 16 bits on NHM/WSM.
You could either stash this into the config field or use an extended
field. The kernel would detect 0x01B7 and use the value in the
extra config field.

As described in vol3b, Intel Westmere adds a second
offcore_response counter. It behaves the same way with
the same restrictions.

The debugctl bit controls uncore activation not offcore.