Date:	Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:13:00 +1000
From:	John Williams <john.williams@...alogix.com>
To:	Linux Kernel list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...retlab.ca>, w.sang@...gutronix.de,
	magnus.damm@...il.com, hjk@...utronix.de, gregkh@...e.de,
	linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org,
	devicetree-discuss <devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org>
Subject: UIO / of_genirq driver

Hi,

I came across this thread/patchset from around June last year:

http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2009-June/073086.html

where Wolfgang proposed a generic OF-driven UIO driver.  The
discussion seemed to stall after Grant Likely indicated he didn't like
the use of a linux-specific compatible binding in the device tree
(compatible="generic-uio").

I guess I have a couple of questions:

 * did this patchset go anywhere?  I've been using it here the last
few days and it works great.

and more generally:

 * Is there a better way to handle the OF bindings for this sort of thing?

Grant's complaint seems to come up often - when you have generic
controllers in a system (SPI/I2C also spring to mind), we need a way
of signalling somehow to the kernel that each instance has a
particular usage intended.

However, the device-tree guys complain whenever anyone tries to encode
anything non-hardware related into the DTS itself.

I guess I'd like to just open up a discussion, see if there's been any
progress towards a general solution.

Thanks,

John
--
John Williams
PetaLogix - Linux Solutions for a Reconfigurable World