Date:	Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:47:39 -0500
From:	tytso@....edu
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	Christoph Lameter <cl@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
	Miklos Szeredi <miklos@...redi.hu>,
	Alexander Viro <viro@....linux.org.uk>,
	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
	Christoph Lameter <clameter@....com>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	akpm@...ux-foundation.org, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@...oo.com.au>,
	Hugh Dickins <hugh@...itas.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: inodes: Support generic defragmentation

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:17:02AM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> On the other hand I would like to keep the option to be more aggressive
> for soft page offlining where it's useful and nobody cares about
> the cost.

I'm not sure I understand what the goals are for "soft page
offlining".  Can you say a bit more about that?

> Or the "let's add a updatedb" hint approach has the problem that
> it won't cover a lot of other programs (as Linus always points out
> these new interfaces rarely actually get used)

Sure, but the number of programs that scan all of the files in a file
system and would need this sort of hint are actually pretty small.
Uptdatedb and backup programs are pretty much about it.

	      	     	      	  	      - Ted