Date:	Tue, 2 Feb 2010 14:21:09 +0000
From:	Alan Jenkins <sourcejedi.lkml@...glemail.com>
To:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
Cc:	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>, hugh.dickins@...cali.co.uk,
	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	pm list <linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: s2disk hang update

On 1/2/10, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...k.pl> wrote:
> On Saturday 02 January 2010, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I've been suffering from s2disk hangs again.  This time, the hangs
>> were always before the hibernation image was written out.
>>
>> They're still frustratingly random.  I just started trying to work out
>> whether doubling PAGES_FOR_IO makes them go away, but they went away
>> on their own again.
>>
>> I did manage to capture a backtrace with debug info though.  Here it
>> is for 2.6.33-rc2.  (It has also happened on rc1).  I was able to get
>> the line numbers (using gdb, e.g.  "info line
>> *stop_machine_create+0x27"), having built the kernel with debug info.
>>
>> [top of trace lost due to screen height]
>> ? sync_page	(filemap.c:183)
>> ? wait_on_page_bit	(filemap.c:506)
>> ? wake_bit_function	(wait.c:174)
>> ? shrink_page_list	(vmscan.c:696)
>> ? __delayacct_blkio_end	(delayacct.c:94)
>> ? finish_wait	(list.h:142)
>> ? congestion_wait	(backing-dev.c:761)
>> ? shrink_inactive_list	(vmscan.c:1193)
>> ? scsi_request_fn	(spinlock.h:306)
>> ? blk_run_queue	(blk-core.c:434)
>> ? shrink_zone	(vmscan.c:1484)
>> ? do_try_to_free_pages	(vmscan.c:1684)
>> ? try_to_free_pages	(vmscan.c:1848)
>> ? isolate_pages_global	(vmscan.c:980)
>> ? __alloc_pages_nodemask	(page_alloc.c:1702)
>> ? __get_free_pages	(page_alloc.c:1990)
>> ? copy_process	(fork.c:237)
>> ? do_fork	(fork.c:1443)
>> ? rb_erase
>> ? __switch_to
>> ? kthread
>> ? kernel_thread
>> ? kthread
>> ? kernel_thread_helper
>> ? kthreadd
>> ? kthreadd
>> ? kernel_thread_helper
>>
>> INFO: task s2disk:2174 blocked for more than 120 seconds
>
> This looks like we have run out of memory while creating a new kernel thread
> and we have blocked on I/O while trying to free some space (quite obviously,
> because the I/O doesn't work at this point).

For context, the kernel thread being created here is the stop_machine
thread.  It is created by disable_nonboot_cpus(), called from
hibernation_snapshot().  See e.g. this hung task backtrace -

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BkKUwZCrQ2ceBIM9ZOh7Ow?feat=directlink

> I think it should help if you increase PAGES_FOR_IO, then.

Ok, it's been happening again on 2.6.33-rc6.  Unfortunately increasing
PAGES_FOR_IO doesn't help.

I've been using a test patch to make PAGES_FOR_IO tunable at run time.
 I get the same hang if I increase it by a factor of 10, to 10240:

# cd /sys/module/kernel/parameters/
# ls
consoleblank  initcall_debug  PAGES_FOR_IO  panic  pause_on_oops  SPARE_PAGES
# echo 10240 > PAGES_FOR_IO
# echo 2560 > SPARE_PAGES
# cat SPARE_PAGES
2560
# cat PAGES_FOR_IO
10240

I also added a debug patch to try and understand the calculations with
PAGES_FOR_IO in hibernate_preallocate_memory().  I still don't really
understand them and there could easily be errors in my debug patch,
but the output is interesting.

Increasing PAGES_FOR_IO by almost 10000 has the expected effect of
decreasing "max_size" by the same amount.  However it doesn't appear
to increase the number of free pages at the critical moment.

PAGES_FOR_IO = 1024:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/DYQGvB_4hvCvVuxZf2ibxg?feat=directlink

PAGES_FOR_IO = 10240:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AIkV_ZBwt22nzN-JdOJCWA?feat=directlink

You may remember that I was originally able to avoid the hang by
reverting commit 5f8dcc2.  It doesn't revert cleanly any more.
However, I tried applying my test&debug patches on top of 5f8dcc2~1
(just before the commit that triggered the hang).  That kernel
apparently left ~5000 pages free at hibernation time, v.s. ~1200 when
testing the same scenario on 2.6.33-rc6.  (As before, the number of
free pages remained the same if I increased PAGES_FOR_IO to 10240).

Regards
Alan

View attachment "test.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1303 bytes)

View attachment "debug.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (4876 bytes)

View attachment ".config" of type "text/x-mpsub" (68380 bytes)