Date:	Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:39:40 +1000
From:	Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>, torvalds@...ux-foundation.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, dri-devel@...ts.sf.net
Subject: Re: [crash, PATCH] Revert "drm/radeon/kms: move radeon KMS on/off
	switch out of staging."

>> > This box has no known hardware or software problems, just this week it booted
>> > in excess of 1000 kernels so i'd exclude that angle for now.
>> >
>> > I have bisected the crash back to the DRM tree and the crash went away with
>> > the Kconfig revert i applied - and it got fixed by Jerome's patch. I posted
>> > my config and i posted the relevant boot log as well. Find below the full
>> > bootlog as well with vanilla -git (ab65832) and the config. (i dont think it
>> > matters)

>> > I dont see the commit in yesterday's linux-next. It has very fresh
>> > timestamps:
>> >
>> > ?commit f71d0187987e691516cd10c2702f002c0e2f0edc
>> > ?Author: ? ? Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>
>> > ?AuthorDate: Mon Feb 1 11:35:47 2010 +1000
>> > ?Commit: ? ? Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>
>> > ?CommitDate: Mon Feb 1 11:35:47 2010 +1000
>> >
>> > What kind of widespread testing could this commit have gotten in the less
>> > than 24 hours before it hit mainline?
>> >

>> Its shipping in a major distro by default, its planned to be shipped in an
>> even more major distro. Its been boot tested on 1000s of machines by 1000s
>> of ppl.
>
> Well but that's not the precise tree you sent to Linus, is it?

It pretty much is. If I could blame your crash on any of the recent
patches I would
but its something new and unfun. Most of the fixes in the Linus tree
are directly
from fixes to Fedora/Ubuntu bug reports.

even after reviewing the dmesg I can't see why its failing on that system,

If you could build 2.6.32 on that machine with the staging flag
enabled and see if
it works it would at least tell us if it is something in recent times
or just something
thats always been there.

Unless some other option in make allyesconfig is conflicting and we've never hit
it before. Fedora is close to allyesconfig but not pathalogical like
allyesconfig is.

Dave.