Date:	Thu, 4 Feb 2010 19:12:18 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>
Cc:	Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>, Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>,
	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	dri-devel@...ts.sf.net
Subject: Re: hung bootup with "drm/radeon/kms: move radeon KMS on/off switch
 out of staging."

* Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 06:54:45PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > But you could claim that it's not a regression because 1) technically the
> > code got introduced in drivers/staging/, and staging drivers are not on
> > the regression list 2) the Kconfig value is default-off so it can only
> > harm those who got lured by a new Kconfig value popping up in -rc7 in a
> > well working driver they already have enabled.
> >
> > So the moving of driver functionality from drivers/staging/ to drivers/
> > is a grey area it appears. Wouldnt it have been better to do this in the
> > next merge window, as all other drivers do? It's not new hardware
> > enablement either, it's feature enablement for an existing driver.
>
> The reason the option was in staging (as has been mentioned before) was
> because the ABI wasn't felt to be stable enough. Upstream is now willing to
> commit to that stability, so now seems as good a time to move it as any.
> There's no code change and there's no default configuration change, so I
> really can't see any way that it can be classed as a regression.

But that argument in essence renders the regression policy meaningless for
such code: just about any new driver feature under the sun could be shaped as
a Kconfig option, introduced via a drivers/staging Kconfig entry, and then
activated via a twoliner commit in a later -rc.

IMHO the point of tracking regressions is to reduce the bugginess of the
kernel and thus to help users, not to give ground for legalistic arguments.

There _are_ common-sense exceptions from the regression rules, such as the
introduction of a new piece of hardware that was previously unsupported
(hence there's no expectation of stability) - but the tweaking of an
existing, widely used driver (even if the new opion is default-off) hardly
seems to qualify for that.

I dont mind making useful exceptions from rules, as long as we are honest
about having done it.

Anyway, i've bisected it back to that Kconfig change and i am able to work
the crashes around by reverting that, so my immediate problems are solved.

Thanks,

	Ingo