Date:	Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:56:07 +0100
From:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
To:	Salman Qazi <sqazi@...gle.com>
Cc:	taviso@...gle.com, Roland Dreier <rolandd@...co.com>,
	Roland McGrath <roland@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Race in ptrace.

On 02/10, Salman Qazi wrote:

> I have
> made a simpler version of tavis's test case:

Thanks, now I see what you mean.

But this all is correct, you can't expect PTRACE_SYSCALL can succeed
is the tracee is running, it must be stopped or traced.

The tracee is running because it was TASK_STOPPED and antagonist()
sends SIGCONT.

The tracee was TASK_STOPPED because the tracer passes sig = SIGSTOP
via ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL, WSTOPSIG(status).

Where do you see the bug?

OK, let me simplify the test-case even more:

	int main(void)
	{
		int stat, ret;
		int pid = fork();

		if (!pid) {
			ptrace(PTRACE_TRACEME, 0, NULL, NULL);
			for (;;)
				;
		}

		sleep(1);	// wait for PTRACE_TRACEME
		kill(pid, SIGSTOP);

		// the child reports SIGSTOP, it is TASK_TRACED
		assert(pid == wait(&stat) && WIFSTOPPED(stat));

		// the tracee should stop, we pass sig = SIGSTOP
		assert(ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL, pid, 0, WSTOPSIG(stat)) == 0);

		// the child reports the group stop, it is TASK_STOPPED
		assert(pid == wait(&stat) && WIFSTOPPED(stat));

		// the tracee is STOPPED as requested, not TRACED,
		// SIGCONT wakes it up
		kill(pid, SIGCONT);

		// now the tracee is _running_, and PTRACE_SYSCALL must fail
		ret = ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL, pid, 0, WSTOPSIG(stat));
		printf("should fail: ret=%d %m\n", ret);

		return 0;
	}

PTRACE_SYSCALL fails, and this is absolutely correct.

Now, let's look at your test-case

> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
>         int status;
>         assert((child_pid = do_fork(child)) > 0);
>         assert((ant_pid = do_fork(antagonist)) > 0);
>         waitpid(child_pid, &status, 0);
>         ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL, child_pid, NULL, NULL);
>         while(1) {
>                 if (waitpid(child_pid, &status, 0) <= 0) {
>                         printf("Errno %d\n", errno);
>                         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
>                 }
>                 if (WIFSTOPPED(status)) {

WSTOPSIG() should be either SIGCONT or SIGSTOP

>                         printf("stopped: %d\n", WSTOPSIG(status));
>
>                         /* This should work, but sometimes it doesn't */
>                         if (ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL, child_pid,
>                                                 NULL, WSTOPSIG(status)) < 0) {

This should not work if the tracee reported the group stop (not the
fact it dequeued SIGSTOP) and antagonist() sends SIGCONT in between.

>                                 /* Oddly it works the second time! */
>                                 assert (ptrace(PTRACE_SYSCALL,
>                                         child_pid, NULL, WSTOPSIG(status)) < 0);

Of couse, it _can_ work the second time, antagonist() sends a signal
(SIGCONT or SIGSTOP), the tracee dequeues the signal, and stops to

See?

Oleg.