Date:	Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:31:14 -0800 (PST)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
cc:	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	Balbir Singh <balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@...e.cz>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [patch 4/7 -mm] oom: badness heuristic rewrite

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > > Can you add newly-named knobs (rather than modifying the existing
> > > ones), deprecate the old ones and then massage writes to the old ones
> > > so that they talk into the new framework?
> > >

> > That's what I was thinking, add /proc/pid/oom_score_adj that is just added
> > into the badness score (and is then exported with /proc/pid/oom_score)
> > like this patch did with oom_adj and then scale it into oom_adj units for
> > that tunable.  A write to either oom_adj or oom_score_adj would change the
> > other,
>
> How ugly is all this?

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages, users need to be able to
specify how much memory vital tasks should be able to use compared to
others without getting penalized and that needs to be done as a fraction
of available memory.  I wanted to avoid it originally by not having to
introduce another tunable, but I understand the need for a stable ABI and
backwards compatability.  The way /proc/pid/oom_adj currently works as a
bitshift on the badness score is nearly impossible to tune correctly so
change in scoring is inevitable.  Luckily, users who tune either can
ignore the other until such time as oom_adj can be removed.

> There _are_ things we can do though.  Detect a write to the old file and
> emit a WARN_ON_ONCE("you suck").  Wait a year, turn it into
> WARN_ON("you really suck").  Wait a year, then remove it.

Ok, I'll use WARN_ON_ONCE() to let the user know of the deprecation and
then add an entry to Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt.