Date:	Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:56:24 +0900
From:	Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@...il.com>
To:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
Cc:	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...e.de>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	Balbir Singh <balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@...e.cz>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [patch 4/7 -mm] oom: badness heuristic rewrite

Hi, David.

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 01:14 -0800, David Rientjes wrote:
> > > +/*
> > > + * Tasks that fork a very large number of children with seperate address
> > > spaces
> > > + * may be the result of a bug, user error, or a malicious application.  The
> > > oom
> > > + * killer assesses a penalty equaling
> >
> > It could also be the result of the system getting many client
> > connections - think of overloaded mail, web or database servers.
> >

> True, that's a great example of why child tasks should be sacrificed for
> the parent: if the oom killer is being called then we are truly overloaded
> and there's no shame in killing excessive client connections to recover,
> otherwise we might find the entire server becoming unresponsive.  The user
> can easily tune to /proc/sys/vm/oom_forkbomb_thres to define what
> "excessive" is to assess the penalty, if any.  I'll add that to the
> comment if we require a second revision.

I am worried about opposite case.

If forkbomb parent makes so many children in a short time(ex, 2000 per
second) continuously and we kill a child continuously not parent, system
is almost unresponsible, I think.
I suffered from that case in LTP and no swap system.
It might be a corner case but might happen in real.

I think we could have two types of forkbomb.

Normal forkbomb : apache, DB server and so on.
Buggy forkbomb: It's mistake of user.

We can control normal forkbomb by oom_forkbomb_thres.
But how about handling buggy forkbomb?

If we make sure this task is buggy forkbomb, it would be better to kill
it. But it's hard to make sure it's a buggy forkbomb.

Could we solve this problem by following as?
If OOM selects victim and then the one was selected victim right before
and it's repeatable 5 times for example, then we kill the victim(buggy
forkbom) itself not child of one. It is assumed normal forkbomb is
controlled by admin who uses oom_forkbomb_thres well. So it doesn't
happen selecting victim continuously above five time.

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim