Date:	Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:12:38 +0100
From:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
To:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Cc:	peterz@...radead.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: rcu_dereference() without protection in select_task_rq_fair()

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 08:52 -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> Hello, Peter,
>
> My lockdep-ified RCU complains about the for_each_domain() in
> select_task_rq_fair(), see below for the lockdep complaint.  I added
> rcu_dereference_check() annotations as follows:
>
> #define for_each_domain_rd(p) \
>         rcu_dereference_check((p), \
>                               rcu_read_lock_sched_held() || \
>                               lockdep_is_held(&sched_domains_mutex))
>
> #define for_each_domain(cpu, __sd) \
>         for (__sd = for_each_domain_rd(cpu_rq(cpu)->sd); __sd; __sd = __sd->parent)
>
> In other words, I believe (perhaps incorrectly) that for_each_domain()
> can be called either within an RCU-sched read-side critical section or
> with sched_domains_mutex held.  Lockdep claims that no locks of any
> kind, RCU or otherwise, were held.  I considered the possibility that
> this was an initialization-time thing, but the code traverses CPU
> structures rather than task structures.
>
> One other possibility is that this is safe due to the fact that we are
> booting up, before the second CPU has come online.  Are you relying on
> this?
>
> For reference, here is the definition of rcu_read_lock_sched_held():
>
> static inline int rcu_read_lock_sched_held(void)
> {
>         int lockdep_opinion = 0;
>
>         if (debug_locks)
>                 lockdep_opinion = lock_is_held(&rcu_sched_lock_map);
>         return lockdep_opinion || preempt_count() != 0;
> }
>
> Help?

We use synchronize_sched() and preempt_disable() for the sched domain
stuff. The comment above for_each_domain():

/*
 * The domain tree (rq->sd) is protected by RCU's quiescent state transition.
 * See detach_destroy_domains: synchronize_sched for details.
 *
 * The domain tree of any CPU may only be accessed from within
 * preempt-disabled sections.
 */
#define for_each_domain(cpu, __sd) \
        for (__sd = rcu_dereference(cpu_rq(cpu)->sd); __sd; __sd = __sd->parent)

explains this usage, also see detach_destroy_domains().

So one thing you can do is add (preempt_count() & ~PREEMPT_ACTIVE) to
the rcu_read_lock_sched_held() function to catch all those cases that
rely on preemption without having to add annotations to everything that
disables preemption.