Date:	Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:48:04 -0500
From:	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To:	Peter Paul <abnominales@....de>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: One Video Decoding API to rule them all

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:39:00 +0100, Peter Paul said:

> I think it would therefore be helpful to have an official statement
> which API is the preferable one so, that the open source drivers and
> applications could migrate to that one.

What you need is a statement that API XYZ is the One True API, *and* statements
from the non-XYZ vendors that they intend to move in that direction.  Let's
face it - if you don't get NVidia and AMD saying they're both going in the
same direction, you end up having to support both directions no matter what
we say regarding the desired direction.

Anybody who doesn't believe that is invited to look at some of the APIs that
distros are carrying as patches for 18 months and more, even though Linus
has publicly called the API a piece of crap.