Date:	Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:58:50 +1000
From:	Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
Cc:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	Ben Skeggs <skeggsb@...il.com>,
	Dave Airlie <airlied@...ux.ie>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@...tuousgeek.org>, dri-devel@...ts.sf.net
Subject: Re: [git pull] drm request 3

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu> wrote:

> * Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu> wrote:
>> > The conclusion is crystal clear, breaking an ABI via a "flag day"
>> > cleanup/feature/etc is:
>> >
>> > ?- wrong
>> >
>> > ?- harmful
>> >
>> > ?- limits the developer base
>> >
>> > ?- limits the tester base
>> >
>> > ?- wastes time and effort. (fewer developers/testers means that while _this_
>> > ? feature was easier to add, all your _future_ features will be a bit harder
>> > ? to do. It compounds up.)
>> >
>> > ?- so it hurts even the very developer who is most convinced that this was the
>> > ? right thing to do
>> >
>> > It's a bad technical decision throughout. It's masochistic and often suicidal
>> > to just about any project in essence. I've seen projects that did it once and
>> > died just due to that single act of stupidity. I've seen projects that have
>> > done it a few times and took the usage hit, limped along with the wounds and
>> > never grew to the size they could have achieved. I've seen projects that did
>> > it once, took the hit, learned from it and never did it again.
>>
>> Agreed. What bothers me in this discussion is that people keep bringing up
>> the fact that nouveau is mostly developed by volunteers and thus it doesn't
>> make sense to make sure it's backwards (or forwards) compatible. But the way
>> I see it, it's the complete opposite. It's _more_ important to support ABIs
>> for community-driven efforts because you're relying on people who by
>> definition don't have time to waste. While the nouveau people might have
>> good intentions, I'm afraid they might be severely limiting their developer
>> and tester base because they're not focused on real world problems (like the
>> ones Linus is seeing).
>
> Yeah. I've seen a few other bad arguments as well:
>
>   'exploding test matrix'
>
> This is often the result of _another_ bad technical decision:
> over-modularization.
>
> Xorg, mesa/libdrm and the kernel DRM drivers pretty share this signature:
>
>  - it's developed by the same tightly knit developer base who often cross
>   between these packages. Features often need changes in each component.
>
>  - a developer to be able to do real work has to have the latest sources
>   of all these components.
>
>  - a user just uses whatever horizontal version cut the distro did and never
>   truly 'mixes' these components as a conscious decision.
>
>  - distros just try to get the latest and most capable but still stable
>   version. Desperately so. Often they will create a version mix that was
>   never tested by developers in that form. They'll expose users to ABI
>   combinations that were never really intended. They have trouble
>   bootstrapping and stabilizing those essentially random combinations and
>   then have trouble applying stability and security fixes.
>
> The thing is, if development has such characteristics then it's pretty clearly
> [...]

The other option that we used to have was out-of-tree kernel modules, that
shipped in X.org along with Mesa all in one big tree. This wasn't satisfactory
and we were pretty much told to put the drm modules into the kernel at
that point,

Other suggestion from Luc has been to stablise drm/mesa/X.org APIs a
lot more and
ship driver sources for all 3 bit separately, but that doesn't seem
workable either,
since the Mesa API is infinitely broad (its effectively OpenGL), and
changes way too
often, as does the kernel API, though the drm component is probably okay.

You'll find groups like Intel are releasing things at fairly similiar
times every quarter
and recommending those groupings for distros to take as tested together.

You also have the BSD options where they just create a base OS system and screw
the whole pick-n-mix decisions.

Dave