Date:	Sun, 7 Mar 2010 19:42:58 +0100
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
To:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi>
Cc:	Avi Kivity <avi@...hat.com>, Zachary Amsden <zamsden@...hat.com>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
	Anthony Liguori <anthony@...emonkey.ws>,
	"Zhang, Yanmin" <yanmin_zhang@...ux.intel.com>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>, ming.m.lin@...el.com,
	sheng.yang@...el.com, Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@...hat.com>,
	KVM General <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
	Gleb Natapov <gleb@...hat.com>,
	Fr??d??ric Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: KVM usability

* Pekka Enberg <penberg@...helsinki.fi> wrote:

> That said, AFAICT, it should be pretty simple to implement a shark-like UI
> with GTK as current perf code is pretty good fit for that. I've pondered
> about doing that myself but quite frankly, I don't see any big gains in
> that.

There's a perf events based GUI: sysprof.

It's not integrated into tools/perf/ (it's using the syscall) and we'd welcome
it integrated as 'perf view' or 'perf gui' - just like we'd welcome a new
from-scratch GUI frontend as well.

The latter would have the advantage of growing gradually and naturally - so if
you feel like implementing it, please do not hesitate ;-) I had a good hard
look at the perf GUI situation a few months ago and GTK looks like the best
fit.

Even if it's simple initially it would clearly show us the exact demand of GUI
versus TUI. I.e. if you are right and it doesnt matter, it will stay simple,
if Avi is right and it matters then people will use it as a base and improve
it. A win-win scenario.

Thanks,

	Ingo