Date:	Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:57:48 +0000
From:	Al Viro <viro@...IV.linux.org.uk>
To:	Eric Paris <eparis@...hat.com>
Cc:	torvalds@...ux-foundation.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] notification: after one week

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 03:55:39PM -0500, Eric Paris wrote:
> Having you tell me to wait a week after rebasing (and probably being the
> only person who waited a week after rebasing to ask for a pull) I'm
> back.  I hoped to hear some review but none came.  If it does, rest
> assured addressing those issues will be my top priority.  Since the last
> pull request the only change is that I corrected the build flags to not
> add -Wsigned-pointer and I actually dropped the permissions bits from
> this branch (those bits are and have been in linux-next for a long time
> now as well though)

Sigh...  I *will* dig the full review out (been buried in autofs review
lately), but for starters grep for fsnotify() and fsnotify_parent(),
then tell me why on the earth are you doing that kind of insane multiplexors?

I mean, WTF?
; git grep -n -w fsnotify_parent
include/linux/fsnotify.h:28:static inline void fsnotify_parent(struct path *path, struct dentry
include/linux/fsnotify.h:115:   fsnotify_parent(NULL, dentry, mask);
include/linux/fsnotify.h:176:           fsnotify_parent(path, NULL, mask);
include/linux/fsnotify.h:194:           fsnotify_parent(path, NULL, mask);
include/linux/fsnotify.h:212:           fsnotify_parent(path, NULL, mask);
include/linux/fsnotify.h:231:           fsnotify_parent(path, NULL, mask);
include/linux/fsnotify.h:247:   fsnotify_parent(NULL, dentry, mask);
include/linux/fsnotify.h:282:           fsnotify_parent(NULL, dentry, mask);
;

and *ALL* callers get one of those NULL and another non-NULL.  With
different behaviour inside that sucker.  And fsnotify() is no better -
it's a multiplexor from hell.