Date:	Tue, 09 Mar 2010 04:26:57 -0500
From:	Jon Masters <jonathan@...masters.org>
To:	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: opendir() on a file???

Folks,

Now I might be missing something, and I know I'm behind on LKML[0], but
the following isn't supposed to work in my book:

/*
 * Weird kernel test
 */

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <dirent.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
        DIR *dir;

        dir = opendir("foo.conf");

        if (dir)
                printf("WTF?\n");

        return 0;
}

This is on an ext4 filesystem, whereas on a box with an older kernel
this test correctly does not print "WTF?". I know some filesystems
experiment with streams and treating files as directories, etc. but I
wasn't aware that anything particular had changed recently?

The box is running almost an upstream kernel, and I can poke if I'm told
this not intended: 2.6.34-0.8.rc0.git11.fc14.x86_64.

What am I missing?

Jon.

[0] The podcast isn't dead, I'm just suffering from a cold and will be
taking a day off to recover and catch up with that sometime today.