Date:	Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:44:10 -0500
From:	Anthony Liguori <anthony@...emonkey.ws>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>
CC:	Avi Kivity <avi@...hat.com>,
	"Zhang, Yanmin" <yanmin_zhang@...ux.intel.com>,
	Sheng Yang <sheng@...ux.intel.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
	Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti@...hat.com>,
	oerg Roedel <joro@...tes.org>,
	Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@...hat.com>,
	Gleb Natapov <gleb@...hat.com>,
	Zachary Amsden <zamsden@...hat.com>, ziteng.huang@...el.com,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
	Fr?d?ric Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single
 project

On 03/17/2010 03:10 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>   - move a clean (and minimal) version of the Qemu code base to tools/kvm/, in
>     the upstream kernel repo, and work on that from that point on.

QEMU is about 600k LOC.  We have a mechanism to compile out portions of
the code but a lot things are tied together in an intimate way.  In the
long run, we're working on adding stronger interfaces such that we can
split components out into libraries that are consumable by other
applications.

Simplying forking the device model won't work.  Well more than half of
our contributors are not coming from KVM developers/users.  If you just
fork the device models, you start to lose a ton of fixes (look at Xen
and VirtualBox).

So feel free to either 1) apply my previous patch and then start working
on a "clean (and minimal)" QEMU or 2) wait to commit my previous patch
and start sending patches to clean up QEMU.

Absolute none of this is going to give you a VirtualBox like GUI for QEMU.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori