Date:	Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:02:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	anfei <anfei.zhou@...il.com>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	nishimura@....nes.nec.co.jp,
	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch] oom: give current access to memory reserves if it has
 been killed

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > > Yes, you are right. OK, oom_badness() can never return points < 0,
> > > we can make it int and oom_badness() can return -1 if !mm. IOW,
> > >
> > > 	- unsigned int points;
> > > 	+ int points;
> > >
> > > 	points = oom_badness(...);
> > > 	if (points >= 0 && (points > *ppoints || !chosen))
> > > 		chosen = p;
> > >

> > oom_badness() and its predecessor badness() in mainline never return
> > negative scores, so I don't see the value in doing this; just filter the
> > task in select_bad_process() with !p->mm as it has always been done.
>
> David, you continue to ignore my arguments ;) select_bad_process()
> must not filter out the tasks with ->mm == NULL.
>
> Once again:
>
> 	void *memory_hog_thread(void *arg)
> 	{
> 		for (;;)
> 			malloc(A_LOT);
> 	}
>
> 	int main(void)
> 	{
> 		pthread_create(memory_hog_thread, ...);
> 		syscall(__NR_exit, 0);
> 	}
>
> Now, even if we fix PF_EXITING check, select_bad_process() will always
> ignore this process. The group leader has ->mm == NULL.
>
> See?
>
> That is why I think we need something like find_lock_task_mm() in the
> pseudo-patch I sent.

I'm not ignoring your arguments, I think you're ignoring what I'm
responding to.  I prefer to keep oom_badness() to be a positive range as
it always has been (and /proc/pid/oom_score has always used an unsigned
qualifier), so I disagree that we need to change oom_badness() to return
anything other than 0 for such tasks.  We need to filter them explicitly
in select_bad_process() instead, so please do this there.