Date:	Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:46:40 +0200
From:	Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@...sik.fu-berlin.de>
To:	Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@...il.com>
Cc:	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@...mvista.com>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...ux.intel.com>, linux-ide@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: linux-ide: hda: possibly failed opcode: 0x25 on Alpha with
 2.6.34-rc3

Hi Bartlomiej,

thank you very much for your kind reply!

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 05:34:57PM +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 April 2010 01:26:59 am Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > Dear IDE maintainers,
>
> I'm flattered but nowadays I'm just a maintainer of a modest
> out-of-tree project or two.. ;-)

Hehe, just trying to keep good manners in public ;).

> > I recently installed Debian unstable on an old digital personal
> > workstation 433au alpha (Miata) [1] with the default kernel 2.6.32
> > from Debian unstable. There were no obvious problems except for the
> > tulip network driver which produced a lot of noise [2]. Joe Perches was
> > so kind to provide a patch to reduce the noise. I applied the patch
> > against 2.6.34-rc3 and rebuilt the kernel with the 2.6.32 Debian
> > config using "make oldconfig". The kernel build took around 18 hours ;).
> >
> > Anyway, after rebooting the machine into the new kernel (2.6.34-rc3), the
> > IDE driver obviously triggered a lot of errors [3] resulting in the kernel
> > not being able to mount the root partition.
>
> I think that the highest chance of bringing the right people's
> attention to this kernel regression would be achieved by filling
> the official bug-report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/.

Ok, I will report the problem there. Btw, the problem doesn't occur
with 2.6.33.2 either so it definetely seems to be a regression with
2.6.34. Unfortunately, I don't have the machine at hand anymore, so I
won't be able to test in near future :(. Very sorry. However, I know
someone who still has such a workstation, I will ask him to test.

Thanks,

Adrian