Date:	Tue, 20 Apr 2010 23:56:45 +0200
From:	Primiano Tucci <p.tucci@...il.com>
To:	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, tglx <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Subject: Re: Considerations on sched APIs under RT patch

Hi Peter,
thank you for your reply.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 22:48 +0200, Primiano Tucci wrote:
>
>> Yesterday days I found a strange behavior of the scheduler API's using
>> the RT patch, in particular the pthread_setaffinity_np (that stands on
>> sched_setaffinity).
>
>> I think the main problem is that sched_setaffinity makes use of a
>> rwlock, but rwlocks are pre-emptible with the RT patch.
>
> It does? where?
>
> sys_sched_setaffinity()
>  sched_setaffinity()
>    set_cpus_allowed_ptr()

I see

long sched_setaffinity(pid_t pid, const struct cpumask *in_mask) {
	cpumask_var_t cpus_allowed, new_mask;
	struct task_struct *p;
	int retval;

	get_online_cpus();
-->	read_lock(&tasklist_lock);

My question is: suppose that tasklist_lock is held by a writer.
What happens to the calling thread? It can't take the lock, therefore
it yields to the next ready task (that in my scenario has a lower
priority).
In my view, this is not a Priority Inversion problem. The problem is
that the sched_setaffinity is unexpectedly "suspensive" and yields to
the lower thread.

Thank you for your support,
Primiano

--