Date:	Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:49:27 -0700
From:	Saravana Kannan <skannan@...eaurora.org>
To:	Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
CC:	cpufreq <cpufreq@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-arm-msm <linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org>,
	Dave Jones <davej@...hat.com>,
	Thomas Renninger <trenn@...e.de>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: CPUfreq - udelay() interaction issues

- Venkatesh since his email is bouncing with "unknown address".

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> Saravana Kannan wrote:
>>>
>>> Assumptions:
>>> ============
>>> * Let's assume ondemand governor is being used.
>>> * Ondemand uses one timer per core and they have CPU affinity set.
>>> * For SMP, CPUfreq core expects the CPUfreq driver to adjust the
>>> per-CPU jiffies.
>>> * P1 indicates for lower CPU perfomance levels and P2 indicates a much
>>> higher CPU pref level (say 10 times faster).
>>>
>>> Issue 1: UP (non-SMP) scenario
>>> ==============================
>>>
>>> This issue is also present for SMP case, but I don't want to complicate
>>> this example with it. For future reference in this thread, let's call
>>> this "Context switch issue".
>>>
>>> Steps:
>>> - CPU running at P1
>>> - Driver context calls udelay
>>> - udelay does loop calculation and starts looping
>>> - Context switches to ondemand gov timer function
>>> - Ondemand gov changes CPU to P2
>>> - Context switches back to Driver context
>>> - udelay does a delay that's 10 times shorter.
>>>
>>> The last point is obviously a bad thing. I'm more concerned about ARM
>>> arch for the moment, but considering x86 takes a max of 20ms (20000us)
>>> for udelay, the above scenario looks very possible.
>
> I think your point is valid: if the CPU suddenly goes faster, the udelay
> duration could be below the requested value.
>
> I am not certain that there are any guarantee that udelay will sleep for
> the exact amount requested, but I suppose it's generally assumed that it
> will delay for _at least_ the amount requested. Then on top of that
> interrupts, scheduler activity, etc... may make the delay longer.

Yes, udelay has an _at least_ guarantee. Extra delay is not much of a
concern and is probably unavoidable.

> Doing mutual exclusion between udelay and ondemand (as you propose
> below) seems to be a solution that will complexify kernel locking a lot
> for not much added value.

A lot of device drivers use udelay to meet h/w or protocol spec
requirements and if we randomly don't meet it, we would hit issues that
are hard to debug. So, I think proper working of udelay is quite a bit
important.

> spinlock is out of question because it would
> disable preemption for 20ms durations. Any mutex or semaphore-based
> solution will likely be a problem, because I suspect that udelay() is
> used with preemption off somewhere.

I agree, a spin lock would be a no-no for many reasons. Semaphore is not
really a problem in atomic contexts because cpufreq can't interrupt us
either -- so we don't need to grab a semaphore.

I was testing the waters about the actual existence of the bug before I
spent time to propose a clear solution. I guess I could have explained
the solution better -- explain further down.

> One thing we could do, though, is to keep a per-cpu counter of the
> number of frequency changes performed by ondemand. We sample the local
> counter at the beginning of udelay, execute the correct number of loops,
> re-sample the same counter, and if the frequency has changed while we
> were executing the loops, we could go to a "slow-path" that would ensure
> that we execute at least the minimum amount of loops to fill requested
> time, possibly assuming the fastest frequency available on the system.
> This counter could also be incremented by the scheduler migration code
> so thread migrations between CPUs while udelay is running will also
> trigger the "slow-path". This counter approach would take care of A-B-A
> problems where frequency would go from A to B and the back to A while we
> execute udelay, and also for migration from CPU A to B and back to A.
>
> How does that sound ?

Seems a bit more complicated than what I had in mind. This is touching
the scheduler I think we can get away without having to. Also, there is
no simple implementation for the "slowpath" that can guarantee the delay
without starting over the loop and hoping not to get interrupted or just
giving up and doing a massively inaccurate delay (like msleep, etc).

I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

udelay()
{
   if (!is_atomic())
	down_read(&freq_sem);
   /* else
	do nothing since cpufreq can't interrupt you.
   */

   call usual code since cpufreq is not going to preempt you.

   if (!is_atomic())
	up_read(&freq_sem);
}

__cpufreq_driver_target(...)
{
   down_write(&freq_sem);
   cpufreq_driver->target(...);
   up_write(&freq_sem);
}

In the implementation of the cpufreq driver, they just need to make sure
they always increase the LPJ _before_ increasing the freq and decrease
the LPJ _after_ decreasing the freq. This is make sure that when an
interrupt handler preempts the cpufreq driver code (since atomic
contexts aren't looking at the r/w semaphore) the LPJ value will be good
enough to satisfy the _at least_ guarantee of udelay().

For the CPU switching issue, I think the solution I proposed is quite
simple and should work.

Does my better explained solution look palatable?

Thanks,
Saravana