Date:	Fri, 21 May 2010 16:34:54 +0100 (BST)
From:	"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@...ux-mips.org>
To:	Ralf Baechle <ralf@...ux-mips.org>
cc:	John Kacur <jkacur@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arndbergmann@...glemail.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, linux-mips@...ux-mips.org,
	Paul Mundt <lethal@...ux-sh.org>, linux-sh@...r.kernel.org,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>,
	Roman Zippel <zippel@...ux-m68k.org>,
	linux-m68k@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: bkl: Pushdowns for sound/oss ?

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> > particular in:
> > sound/oss/swarm_cs4297a.c
>
> This one is specific to the Swarm, a MIPS-based platform indeed; I'll cc
> Maciej Rozycki who most likely is the only person on the planet knowing the
> technical details.  I don't even recall touching that file so my (C)
> header in there is a surprise :)

 You probably added a missing header inclusion or suchlike. ;)

 That's a Crystal Sound CS4297A AC'97 codec wired to a synchronous serial
interface of the SWARM board.  It used to work with 2.4 after some tweaks
I did back then (it broke in the little-endian mode or something like
that), but I can't say anything about 2.6.  I think the driver should be
dropped and the serial port in the sound mode (there's a demux to switch
the interface's external connection between the codec and a DE-9
connector; the serial port supports asynchronous mode as well) properly
abstracted as a "sound card".

 There's a separate CS4297A driver already in our tree, so it should be
used in place of the codec bits from this driver (which I believe were
simply copied over at some point).  The rest is glue logic to set up
serial line parameters correctly for the codec and switch the demux to the
codec (no proper resource management is done for that though; the
selection used to be made at the kernel build time).  This glue logic is
all that's needed to be carried over to the new "sound card" driver.

 I have plans to do so in some indefinite future, probably when I retire
and my grandchildren have grown up; anyone please feel free to take it
first. ;)

  Maciej