Date:	Tue, 25 May 2010 00:33:01 +0300
From:	Chriss Kalogeropoulos <iz.iznogood@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Ubuntu boot time on imac

Hi all,

I have also posted this on ubuntu forums hoping for an answer but i
believe this is the right place

i have a 24'' imac core duo 2 (2007 model), 4GB ram, nvidia 7600

I recently installed ubuntu lucid 64 bit and everything worked
perfectly. The boot times where 14.5 secs on a clean installation from
grub to full desktop. I even enabled the xorg-edgers repo and nouveau
with 3d was working almost perfectly. The boot time was around 20-23
secs with compiz enabled and 2.6.34-2 kernel installed from xorg-edgers.

What i tried next was to manually compile the 2.6.34 kernel and
statically link all drivers, to improve performance and boot time a bit.
This also worked fine and the system works ok.

However, i did not see any improvements during boot (around 20 secs) and
there is a huge gap of 10 second from the time the kernel initializes
usb until udev is started. The logs are completely empty.

The build has only the necessary drivers. Can someone explain what is
happening and if there is a way to improve on that ?
Are there any kernel options or tools i can use to get more info on what
is happening during this period ?

I attach my kernel config, a dmesg log and the boot chart png

Please cc me since i am not on the list

Thanks in advance

View attachment "log_2.6.34-test.txt" of type "text/plain" (43761 bytes)

View attachment "config" of type "text/x-mpsub" (48918 bytes)

Download attachment "chriss-buntu-lucid-20100524-6.png" of type "image/png" (256843 bytes)