Date:	Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:19:42 +0900
From:	Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@...il.com>
To:	"Luis Claudio R. Goncalves" <lclaudio@...g.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
Cc:	KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki <kamezawa.hiroyu@...fujitsu.com>,
	KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motohiro@...fujitsu.com>,
	balbir@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@...hat.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
	Mel Gorman <mel@....ul.ie>, williams@...hat.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] oom-kill: give the dying task a higher priority

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Luis Claudio R. Goncalves
<lclaudio@...g.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 03:51:02PM +0900, KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:
> | On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:09:41 +0900
> | Minchan Kim <minchan.kim@...il.com> wrote:

> | > Yes.
> | >
> | > I see the code.
> | > oom_kill_process is called by
> | >
> | > 1. mem_cgroup_out_of_memory
> | > 2. __out_of_memory
> | > 3. out_of_memory
> | >

> | > (1,2) calls select_bad_process which select victim task in processes
> | > by do_each_process.
> | > But 3 isn't In case of  CONSTRAINT_MEMORY_POLICY, it kills current.
> | > In only the case, couldn't we pass task of process, not one of thread?
> | >

> | Hmm, my point is that priority-acceralation is against a thread, not against a process.
> | So, most of threads in memory-eater will not gain high priority even with this patch
> | and works slowly.
>
> This is a good point...
>
> | I have no objections to this patch. I just want to confirm the purpose. If this patch
> | is for accelating exiting process by SIGKILL, it seems not enough.
>
> I understand (from the comments in the code) the badness calculation gives more
> points to the siblings in a thread that have their own mm. I wonder if what you
> are describing is not a corner case.
>
> Again, your idea sounds like an interesting refinement to the patch. I am
> just not sure this change should implemented now or in a second round of
> changes.

First of all, I think your patch is first.
That's because I am not sure this logic is effective.

        /*
         * We give our sacrificial lamb high priority and access to
         * all the memory it needs. That way it should be able to
         * exit() and clear out its resources quickly...
         */
        p->rt.time_slice = HZ;

Peter changed it in fa717060f1ab.
Now if we change rt.time_slice as HZ, it means the task have high priority?
I am not a scheduler expert. but as I looked through scheduler code,
rt.time_slice is only related to RT scheduler. so if we uses CFS, it
doesn't make task high priority.
Perter, Right?

If it is right, I think Luis patch will fix it.

Secondly, as Kame pointed out, we have to raise whole thread's
priority to kill victim process for reclaiming pages. But I think it
has deadlock problem.
If we raise whole threads's priority and some thread has dependency of
other thread which is blocked, it makes system deadlock. So I think
it's not easy part.

If this part is really big problem, we should consider it more carefully.

> | If an explanation as "acceralating all thread's priority in a process seems overkill"
> | is given in changelog or comment, it's ok to me.
>
> If my understanding of badness() is right, I wouldn't be ashamed of saying
> that it seems to be _a bit_ overkill. But I may be wrong in my
> interpretation.
>
> While re-reading the code I noticed that in select_bad_process() we can
> eventually bump on an already dying task, case in which we just wait for
> the task to die and avoid killing other tasks. Maybe we could boost the
> priority of the dying task here too.

Yes. It is good where we boost priority of task, I think.

--
Kind regards,
Minchan Kim