Date:	Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:09:05 -0400
From:	Chris Mason <chris.mason@...cle.com>
To:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>
Cc:	Matthew Wilcox <matthew@....cx>,
	Christof Schmitt <christof.schmitt@...ibm.com>,
	Boaz Harrosh <bharrosh@...asas.com>,
	"Martin K. Petersen" <martin.petersen@...cle.com>,
	linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Wrong DIF guard tag on ext2 write

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 04:54:53PM +0000, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 12:47 -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

> > > Why does it matter that it was never written in that case?
> >
> > It matters is the storage layer is going to wait around for the block to
> > be written again with a correct crc.
>
> Actually, I wasn't advocating that.  I think block should return a guard
> mismatch error.  I think somewhere in filesystem writeout is the place
> to decide whether the error was self induced or systematic.

In that case the io error goes to the async page writeback bio-endio
handlers.  We don't have a reference on the inode and no ability to
reliably restart the IO, but we can set a bit on the address space
indicating that somewhere, sometime in the past we had an IO error.

> For self
> induced errors (as long as we can detect them) I think we can just
> forget about it ... if the changed page is important, the I/O request
> gets repeated (modulo the problem of too great a frequency of changes
> leading to us never successfully writing it) or it gets dropped because
> the file was truncated or the data deleted for some other reason.

Sorry, how can we tell the errors that are self induced from the evil
bit flipping cable induced errors?

-chris