Date:	Thu, 3 Jun 2010 20:57:03 +0100
From:	Russell King <rmk@....linux.org.uk>
To:	Daniel Walker <dwalker@...eaurora.org>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Kevin Hilman <khilman@...prootsystems.com>,
	linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ARM defconfig files

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 12:49:58PM -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 20:45 +0100, Russell King wrote:

> > > If you did this for drivers, what about disabling a driver? If we used
> > > "select" wouldn't that force all the drivers on without allowing it to
> > > be unselected?
> >
> > I already covered that in my (ignored) email where I brought up a
> > "STD_CONFIG" config symbol, which could be disabled to turn off all
> > these additional "select"s.
>
> I didn't ignore it, I guess I just didn't fully understand it ..
>
> So your saying it would drop all the selects, but keep the selected
> options in tact? Or it would just turn off all the selected options?

config MACH_HALIBUT
	bool "Halibut Board (QCT SURF7201A)"
	select I2C if STD_CONFIG
	select I2C_WHATEVER if STD_CONFIG

That means if you enable STD_CONFIG, you'll get everything that's required
selected.  If you then disable STD_CONFIG, I believe Kconfig leaves
everything that was selected as still being selected.

So, what you _could_ do is start off with a blank configuration, then
configure a kernel with STD_CONFIG enabled and you end up with everything
that's required.  If you then want to disable something that's selected,
turn off STD_CONFIG first, and you'll be able to turn off individual
options.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: