Date:	Sat, 5 Jun 2010 17:12:42 +0300
From:	Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras@...il.com>
To:	Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Russell King <rmk@....linux.org.uk>,
	Daniel Walker <dwalker@...eaurora.org>,
	Kevin Hilman <khilman@...prootsystems.com>,
	linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org,
	Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@...il.com>
Subject: Re: ARM defconfig files

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com> wrote:
> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> [100603 23:30]:
>>
>> and now you'd be able to basically generate a OMAP3EVM .config file by
>> just running "allnoconfig" on that Kconfig.omap3_evm file. But it would
>> only have to select the parts that are specific for the EVM platform,
>> because the generic OMAP3 support would be picked by the Kconfig.omap3
>> file, which in turn would not have to worry about the generic ARM parts
>> etc.
>>
>> See?
>
> Sounds like a good improvment to me.

How about instead of using full defconfigs, we use minimal ones and
let the rest be determined with defaults.

For example, omap3_beagle.baseconfig would have something like:
CONFIG_MACH_OMAP3_BEAGLE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP=y
CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP3=y
CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP3430=y
CONFIG_AEABI=y
CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y
CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP_OTG=y
CONFIG_OMAP_MUX=n
CONFIG_OMAP_32K_TIMER=y
CONFIG_OMAP_DM_TIMER=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=n

You copy that to the .config, and then do:
echo "" | make ARCH=arm oldconfig

The result would be exactly the same as we have now. With the SAT
resolver I think it should be possible to automatically simply the
current defconfigs. (CC'ing Vegard for comments)

I'm attaching a simplified base config, that I used to test this, and
the result is an exact match of the current omap3_beagle_defconfig.

--
Felipe Contreras

Download attachment "omap3_beagle.config" of type "application/octet-stream" (3546 bytes)