Date:	Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:03:20 +0200
From:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>
To:	Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com>
Cc:	Matt Helsley <matthltc@...ibm.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, tytso@....edu,
	Brian Swetland <swetland@...gle.com>,
	Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>,
	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	Felipe Balbi <felipe.balbi@...ia.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Florian Mickler <florian@...kler.org>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>,
	Kevin Hilman <khilman@...prootsystems.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: suspend blockers & Android integration

On Sunday 06 June 2010, Arve Hjønnevåg wrote:
> 2010/6/5 Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...k.pl>:

> >> I'm not aware of any bug with combining both, but we cannot use
> >> suspend at all without suspend blockers in the kernel (since wakeup
> >> events may be ignored)
> >
> > The more I think of it, the more it appears to me that the problem of
> > lost wakeup events can actually be solved without suspend blockers.
> > I'll send a bunch of patches to address this issue, probably tomorrow.
> >

> I know of two ways to prevent lost wakeup events. Reset a timeout
> every time you receive a wakeup event or prevents suspend until you
> know the event has been fully processed. Does your solution fall onto
> one of these two categories, or do you have a third way?

Basically, it involves two mechanisms, detection of wakeup events occuring
right before suspend is started and aborting suspend if wakeup events occur
in the middle of it.

> >> and I don't know how we can safely freeze
> >> cgroups without funneling all potential wakeup events through a
> >> process that never gets frozen.
> >
> > If your untrusted apps get called by the trusted ones, they aren't really
> > untrusted in the first place.
> >
> That is not a correct statement. A trusted apps can call into an
> untrusted app, it just has to validate the response and handle not
> getting a response at all. There are also different levels of trust. I
> may have trusted an app to provide a contact pictures, but not trusted
> it to block suspend. When the phone rings the app will be called to
> provide the picture for the incoming call dialog, but if it is frozen
> at this point the more trusted app that handles the incoming phone
> call will not be able to get the picture.

It will be able to do that if it causes the frozen part of user space to be
thawed.

I think you have this problem already, though, because you use full system
suspend and all of your apps are frozen by it.  So, to handle the situation you
describe above, you need to carry out full system resume that will thaw the
tasks for you.  I don't see any fundamental difference betwee the two cases.

> > From what you're saying it follows that you're not really willing to accept
> > any solution different to your suspend blockers.  Is that really the case?
> >
> I don't think that is a fair way to put it. We need to support our
> user-space framework and I have not seen an alternative solution that
> clearly will work (other than replacing suspend_blockers with pm_qos
> constraints that do the same thing).

Then think again of the approach I proposed and explain to me why it won't
work, because I haven't seen any convincing argument on that yet.

Rafael