Date:	Mon, 7 Jun 2010 11:50:21 -0400
From:	Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@...il.com>
To:	Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>
Cc:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	dri-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Regression, post-rc1] Multiple issues after enabling SetVoltage
	on rs780m

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@...k.pl> wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Your commit 9349d5cc920c10845693f906ebd67f394f1d0d04
>> (drm/radeon/kms/pm: enable SetVoltage on r7xx/evergreen) has caused my test-bed
>> Acer Ferrari One to behave quite unreliably.  The symptoms are:
>>
>> - the system hangs hard (~ 50% of the time) when starting Xorg
>> - the system hangs hard (~ 50% of the time) when stopping Xorg during system
>>  reboot
>> - the system sometimes hangs hard during suspend to RAM
>>
>> These problems are not reproducible with the commit above reverted.
>>
>> Below is the information about the graphics adapter from lspci.
>
> Reverting that commit on master fixes it?
>
> that commit touches code paths in rv770 and evergreen that in no way
> should affect that chipset which is an rs780, so takes the r600 paths.
>
> are you sure its not 7ac9aa5a1f1b87adb69bcbec2b89e228f074103a?

It should be that commit if it is indeed the voltage adjust.  That
said, I just took a closer look at the voltage adjust on newer IGPs
and unfortunately, it doesn't work the same as the discrete cards, so
for now we should disable it.  The attached patch should do the trick.
 There weren't any problems on my IGP chips, but they don't have a
SetVoltage table, so nothing is touching the hw.

Alex

View attachment "0001-drm-radeon-kms-pm-Disable-voltage-adjust-on-RS780-RS.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1631 bytes)