Date:	Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:19:54 +0200
From:	Florian Mickler <florian@...kler.org>
To:	Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com>
Cc:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>, tytso@....edu,
	Alan Cox <alan@...rguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Brian Swetland <swetland@...gle.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>,
	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...e.de>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Felipe Balbi <felipe.balbi@...ia.com>,
	Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...radead.org>
Subject: Re: [linux-pm] suspend blockers & Android integration

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:05:56 -0700
Arve Hjønnevåg <arve@...roid.com> wrote:
Hi,

> If you read an event that occurred after you blocked the task
> freezing, then tasks will never get frozen again (until more events
> occur). I think my original description was less confusing, but it
> seems you got completely distracted by my use of block and unblock
> suspend when referring to the user space api.

Here is how I understood Alan's approach:

Userspace manager (UM) does:

<...continuation of function A>
5) unblock from reading a wakeup from wakeupevents-fd
6) thaw userspace
7) return
</function A>

[userspace sees there is an event; blocks suspend at UM; processes
event; consume wakeupevent at UM; unblock suspend at UM;]

Unblocking the last suspend-blocker at the UM starts function A:

<function A>
1) non-blocking read of wakeup-events-fd (refills wakeupevents)
2) if all wakeupevents are consumed:
	3a) freeze userspace
   else
	3b) /* wait for userspace to unblock
	suspend again... this should take care of the races? */ return;
4) blocking read of wakeupevents-fd
<...for continuation see above>

You mitigate the race by freezing and unfreezing userspace. If there
occur wakeups between 3a) and 4) you will have frozen userspace in
vain.

So I think the feasibility of this solution depends on the performance
of freezing/thawing userspace. I can't judge that.

Also I _think_ this is racefree as long as you have the UM properly
serialized. Or did I overlook something?

Cheers,
Flo